Got some time on my hands… I plan to make a special birthday for my sweet this year. I decided to top the other years by giving three surprises on three different days, the final will be on the actual day.
- Surprise number one – satisfy the craves for Oysters.
Table setting -
- Flowers and candle was really for me
Oysters preparation -
We usually prefer just a squirt of fresh lime juice, salt & pepper over the Oysters but for this time, I want to add a new element to the meal. Cucumber Mignonette Sauce. Instruction and recipe is from Tyler Florence.
- The sauce was very good, but I think I might try to replace vinegar for the juice of 4 freshly squeezed limes next time. I think we will appreciate the sauce even more with the fresh lime fragrance.
Ingredients to make Cucumber Mignonette Sauce
Marx Foods ships fresh Oysters to my door for a fairly reasonable price. The Oysters arrive neatly packaged and smell like the fresh sea on the promised day. The quality of the Oysters was worth the money.
- Do plan on placing your order about 5 business days in advance to avoid extra shipping fees,
- Must have an Oyster knife – no regular knife will do the job, I tried! You can get one from Bed Bath and Beyond for $8.99 or on Amazon for couple of dollars less if you can get free shipping.
- After scrubbing the oysters with a brush in cold running water, here’s a video on how to shuck oysters
Instruction on serving Oysters calls for laying them on a bed of crushed ice but I didn’t have any on hand. As I shucked open the Oysters, I placed them on a platter that is placed in my refrigerator with the temperature turned to cold(est).
- Freezing the Oysters for an hour before shucking can help open the Oysters easier.
- Take a few Oysters out from the freezer at a time since it can take a while to shuck open one.
Too many Oysters to shuck so we threw some on the hot grill. Most of them pop open after a few minutes. As soon as they are open, they can be remove from the fire and are ready to eat.
- Did not like the grilled Oysters as much as the fresh ones.
- Do remove Oysters from the grill even if they don’t pop open & shuck them open to eat. The inside will burn into ashes if left on the grill after 4 minutes.
With the remaining Oysters, we self served – shucked the oysters at the table and ate immediately. So much more fun!!
- The Corona was a very good complement drink for this meal.
~ Surprise #1 – Mission Accomplished ~